10 toys that fuelled our love for motors

My passion for all things motor started from a very early age and I don't think it's a coincidence that my bedroom floor was littered with tiny replicas and stray bits of kid's mechanic sets. With Christmas fast approaching I found myself reminiscing about the kind of things Santa would leave me under the tree and, although I've graduated to requesting slightly more ambitious gifts from the big guy in red (if you're reading this, Santa, you can just leave the keys to my new Aventador wrapped up under the tree, I can't imagine pulling one of those down the chimney is very practical), I would be rather pleased if someone were to play the nostalgia card and leave me one of these for me this year. Which one was your favourite?

1. Matchbox Cars & Hot Wheels

src: fotothing.com
                      
Is it just me who used to keep these in an old margarine tub secured tightly with an elastic band? I am sure I was convinced that I would one day become a stuntman with a penchant for breaking the laws of physics because these little cars would be run over just about every surface in the house and, once they were out of road, perform gravity defying leaps through the air (with appropriate sound effects provided of course) onto the treacherous sofa or the slippery glass coffee table.

More after the jump...

2. Tonka Truck

src: automopedia.org
It was difficult not to get carried away when making tracks through the sand with a Tonka Truck and, really, I can't imagine seeing a sandpit without one. These things were nigh on indestructible when I was growing up, having been given a couple of the old metal models and believe me, my long serving Tonka Truck saw some pretty rough hauls in its time.

3. Meccano

src: dalefield.com
Tried as I might, my Meccano creations always seemed to miss the mark. It could be something to do with the fact that no matter what I did I always managed to lose several screws out of my kits which skittered off into that toy devouring void in reality which seemed to intermittently activate in my house. It was always extra satisfying though wheeling your creations around the carpet when you know the only thing holding them together is your own sheer persistence.

4. Radio-Controlled Cars

src: autoboutique.com.au
'Control' is probably a term to be used loosely in this case because I used to drive my mum crazy with the amount of times I crashed mine into the skirting board or the furniture. It was when the rubber marks started to appear on the laminate that it was finally designated on outdoor only toy. Rest assured that my driving has improved significantly since.

5. Road Floor Mat

src: imgur.com
These things were everywhere and I'm sure that mothers around the globe were very thankful for them because it saved tiny tyre track impressions from ruining the pile of the carpet. I never even noticed the duplication in the pattern when I was tearing along the little felted roads.

6. Little Tyke's Cosy Coupe Car

src: imgur.com
If you ever went to one of those indoor creches as a kid then you'll know that these things were very much in demand. Even the quick shock caused by static buildup wasn't enough to put us off. Fred Flintstone eat your heart out!

7. Barbie's Car(s)

src: imgur.com

You've got to hand it to her, Barbie has quite the fleet in her garage. From Ferraris to Fiat 500s, from camper vans to ice cream trucks. There isn't much she hasn't driven.

8. Scalextric

src: proslotracing.com
If anyone has ever told you that they are able to keep a car on a Scalextric track then it's perfectly acceptable to accuse them of witchcraft. Going at any speed other than glacial saw your car flying off the tracks as you whizzed around corners but it was incredibly satisfying to win a race or you know... be the last one left attached to the track.


9. Lego

src: tumblr.com
With Lego you could build the car of your dreams. Mine always had propellers and trees on it. I think I should get in touch with a manufacturer...


10. Transformers

src: tumblr.com
Pretty awesome cars which turned into pretty awesome giant robots. What's not to like?



I hope you've enjoyed this little jaunt down memory lane as much as I have. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from me and the gang at Granville.

--
This article is intended for entertainment purposes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment